What are you able to anticipate when visiting Iceland? Mountains, waterfalls, untouched nature, glaciers, and in the event you’re fortunate, energetic volcanoes. And final however not least, steaming scorching springs: the key recipe for surviving Icelandic climate.
Víti, situated throughout the Askja caldera within the Highlands of Iceland, is a volcanic crater full of heat, mineral-rich water. It isn’t straightforward to get there because it requires automotive and good climate situations, however it’s a must-visit place in case you are up for some journey.
Why go to Víti
Víti gives the distinctive expertise of swimming in a crater in the course of distant Icelandic nature. With the encircling black volcanic landscapes that seem like from one other world, this go to will go away you with sturdy reminiscences. Furthermore, this isn’t a typical vacationer spot. The isolation makes it an escape from the busy vacationer spots.
Methods to get to Víti
To go to Askja, you’ll want a 4×4 car, and it’s solely accessible through the summer time months. Be ready for a difficult drive by the Highlands. The most typical place to begin is from the north of Iceland. Take the Route F88 from Myvatn. The street will take you to the F91 main in direction of Askja.
Recommendations on visiting Víti
- From the automotive park on the finish of the street, a mountaineering path about 2.5 km lengthy results in the crater rim and Lake Öskjuvatn.
- The spot is accessible solely through the summer time season from mid-June till mid-September and is appropriate just for superior drivers.
- Be sure you select the right automotive for Iceland, particularly for the highlands
Swimming in Víti is a singular expertise, however be cautious, because the water could be fairly heat.
Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring
Guðrúnarlaug is a comfy scorching spring within the west of Iceland. A landslide collapsed on the unique scorching tub, so the unique Guðrún scorching pool has been closed for 140 years. These days, you may go to a duplicate of the unique scorching tub, which was constructed based mostly on what we imagine scorching swimming pools appeared like in Viking occasions.
Why go to Guðrúnarlaug
It’s one among Iceland’s hidden gems providing a peaceable and intimate expertise in the course of stunning nature. The water isn’t too scorching, so it’s best for somebody who doesn’t like scorching springs with excessive temperatures. It makes it best for a calming bathtub. Plus, its outlying location means fewer individuals, permitting you to totally chill out and benefit from the second. Along with the recent tub, there’s a very cute altering room made out of wooden and stones the place you may change and go away your garments.
Methods to get to Guðrúnarlaug
Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring is situated within the western a part of Iceland round 170 kilometers from Reykjavík. If you’re heading there from the capital, comply with the Ring Highway, and once you attain Bifröst, activate Highway 60, which can take you nearly to the spot. The new spring is subsequent to Dalahótel.
Recommendations on visiting Guðrúnarlaug
- As we mentioned, the water is just not too scorching, which can be good, however when the climate is just not very nice, the water could be too chilly.
- If you’re going from Reykjavík, make a cease in Bifröst and luxuriate in a stroll on the highest of the volcanic crater.
- Plan the go to this spring in case you are heading to Westfjords as it’s in your manner.
Hrunalaug is one other cute and comfy scorching spring accompanied by wood and stone shelter. It’d remind you of Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring, however it’s bigger and strategically situated close to the Golden Circle.
Why go to Hrunalaug
Hrunalaug gives a small quiet scorching spot hidden in the course of lush greenery. There’s a place to vary or go away your garments and two pure swimming pools. It is a wonderful different to the crowded Fontana Spa and Secret Lagoon situated close by.
It was a lesser-known spot for experiencing Iceland’s geothermal wonders. Nonetheless, it’s getting increasingly widespread. However in case you are fortunate, the swimming pools could be completely empty, and you may totally get pleasure from this peaceable place. The steam rising from the nice and cozy water and the close by river make you are feeling such as you’re in a fairy story.
Methods to get to Hrunalaug
To search out Hrunalaug, you need to head to the small village of Flúðir. From there, it’s only a brief drive. Comply with Highway 344 and after round 3km flip proper, comply with the street for an additional 700 meters, after which flip proper once more. In just a few meters, you’ll arrive on the parking zone of Hrunalaug. Depart your automotive right here and stroll round 130 meters till you attain the vacation spot.
Recommendations on visiting Hrunalaug
- Hrunalaug is located on personal land. For safety causes and possibly due to rising recognition, there are set opening hours and entrance charges (2000 ISK for adults). There may be additionally a time restrict for visiting, which is 1 hour 30 minutes.
Positioned on the seaside within the distant a part of Westfjords, bringing you to the untouched Icelandic landscapes. That’s Krossneslaug. The drive there’s tough, however it’s definitely worth the journey.
Why go to Krossneslaug
The expertise right here is about embracing the wild fantastic thing about Iceland whereas having fun with a heat, enjoyable bathtub. The pool is true by the ocean, providing you a shocking view of the Arctic Ocean. There’s a massive probability, you’ll be there alone, due to this fact you’ll really feel such as you’ve found a well-kept secret and reached the top of the world.
Methods to get to Krossneslaug
We received’t lie. You want time and a few sturdy nerves to get to Krossneslaug, possibly even a 4×4 automotive, because the street is a bit bumpy and unpaved. Nevertheless it isn’t vital. Attending to Westfjords itself is sort of an journey, so this would possibly add some spice to it.
Drive to Hólmavík, comply with the principle street till a activate Highway 643. There aren’t many choices, so comply with the street by the shore one other 80km. The pool is by the top of the street, so you can’t miss it.
Recommendations on visiting Krossneslaug
- It isn’t a pure scorching spring. It’s an outdoor pool, however it’s giant and good for swimming.
- There’s a cabin with altering rooms, bogs, and a bathe for each women and men.
- There may be an entrance charge of 1000 ISK for adults.
- The drive is troublesome, however you get an opportunity to get pleasure from some wonderful views and expertise true Icelandic landscapes.
Additionally learn: Solo traveler in Iceland? No downside
Reykjadalur may be very widespread as it’s a true geothermal wonderland situated only a brief drive from Reykjavik within the south of Iceland.
Why go to Reykjadalur
Reykjadalur is exclusive as it isn’t only a scorching pool. It’s a scorching river. You get to hike by stunning landscapes after which chill out in a heat river surrounded by beautiful views. It’s a good for one-day journey in case you are in Reykjavík or the south.
Methods to get to Reykjadalur
Firstly, you’ll want to get to Hveragerði, which is a 45-minute drive from Reykjavik, or 1 hour and 45mins from Vík. The hike to the recent river takes round 45 minutes.
Recommendations on visiting Reykjadalur
- Prepare for some crowds. This can be a extremely popular spot.
- The upper you get on the river, the hotter the water will get. Pay attention to indicators telling you the place to not go.
- The entire space is filled with trails so in case you are a mountaineering lover, you may get pleasure from some further steps.
Drangsnes Sizzling Pots
Drangsnes Sizzling Pots gives a singular coastal bathing expertise within the charming village of Drangsnes. These three seaside scorching tubs overlook the ocean, offering an effective way how you can chill out.
Why go to Drangsnes
To get pleasure from dawn, and sundown, or expertise the midnight solar nearly in the course of nowhere. If you’re touring round Westfjords, cease in Drangsnes and luxuriate in a while off with a view. Though the tubs are situated proper subsequent to the street, they’re strategically hidden behind the rocks so you may get pleasure from your second of rest really undisturbed.
Methods to get to Drangsnes
The new tubs are in the course of Drangsnes in Westfjords, not very far-off from Hólmavík. You must get on Highway 61 after which activate Highway 643, after just a few kilometers activate Highway 645 and proceed till you attain Drangsnes.
Recommendations on visiting Drangsnes
- Throughout the street from these tubs, there’s a bathe and bogs. The place is effectively maintained.
- If you’re fortunate sufficient, you would possibly see some whales within the distance or seals enjoying within the ocean.
Húsafell Canyon Baths
Húsafell Canyon Baths are a set of man-made geothermal baths nestled in a lava subject in West Iceland. Although the place isn’t pure, it’s designed to mix easily with the panorama. If you’re searching for a spot to flee from a rush, this could be a spot for you.
Why go to Húsafell Canyon Baths
The baths are constructed from native pure supplies and sources resembling stone from the canyon ground. The cabin is made out of saved wooden from the realm. Even the hooks within the altering room are reused horseshoes from a household farm within the neighborhood. By visiting this place, you’ll not solely really feel linked to Icelandic nature but additionally to Icelandic traditions.
Methods to get to Húsafell Canyon Baths
Húsafell is a couple of two-hour drive from Reykjavik. The baths are simply accessible, and also you’ll discover them throughout the Húsafell Resort space. To get there you’ll want to comply with the street 518.
Recommendations on visiting Húsafell Canyon Baths
- This can be a paid scorching pool. When you plan to go to it, don’t neglect to e book your ticket prematurely.
- The water is round 38 levels, though there’s a pure 6-degree pool fed straight from the river.
- Mix the go to to the baths with exploring the Icelandic Highlands.
As you intend your go to to Iceland, don’t neglect so as to add these exceptional scorching springs to your itinerary.
Whether or not you search journey within the distant Highlands or a tranquil soak within the midst of nature, Iceland’s scorching springs supply a various vary of experiences.
From hidden gems to well-known sights, every scorching spring holds its personal distinctive appeal, promising unforgettable reminiscences amidst Iceland’s breathtaking landscapes.