On the American Resort & Lodging Affiliation, advocacy on behalf of our 30,000-plus members is on the coronary heart of all the pieces we do. Because of the assist of members such as you and the arduous work of our unbelievable workforce, AHLA racked up a bunch of spectacular advocacy victories in 2023. Listed below are the highlights:
Advocacy Wins Throughout All Branches of the Federal Authorities
- After months of AHLA lobbying, the Basic Providers Administration in August introduced its fiscal yr 2024 per diem charges that can govern reimbursement for federal staff’ official lodging and meals bills. The rules included a $9 improve to the lodging charge inside the continental United States, which is able to generate an estimated $300 million for hoteliers.
- The H-2B Workforce Coalition, which AHLA co-chairs, labored arduous to persuade the Biden Administration to make accessible a further 64,716 H-2B momentary nonagricultural employee visas in fiscal yr 2024. This may almost double the yearly allocation of H-2B visas.
- In June, at AHLA’s request, the Small Enterprise Administration issued new Paycheck Safety eligibility pointers clarifying that resort house owners who utilized third-party administration firms and took part in PPP are eligible for PPP mortgage forgiveness for payroll bills they paid by way of a administration firm.
- AHLA helped safe U.S. Senate introduction of the bipartisan Resort Charges Transparency Act in July. The invoice would create a single customary for obligatory charge show throughout the lodging ecosystem—from resorts to on-line journey companies, metasearch websites, and short-term rental platforms.
- In Could, greater than 200 hoteliers from greater than 30 states participated in AHLA’s Resorts on the Hill fly-in on Capitol Hill in Washington. The occasion included greater than 100 conferences with Home and Senate workplaces about how labor shortages are impacting resorts and what Congress can do to assist develop the resort workforce.
- Hoteliers scored a giant victory this yr when the Supreme Courtroom started listening to arguments within the Acheson Resorts, LLC, v. Laufer case in October. The case entails a serial litigant who has sued a whole bunch of resorts below the Individuals with Disabilities Act (ADA) with out having any intention of staying in these resorts. AHLA is hopeful the court docket will rule in favor of Acheson Resorts, thereby limiting future litigation to solely these instances with true advantage. This may present peace of thoughts to hoteliers, who now reside in fixed worry of drive-by and click-by lawsuits from serial “tester” litigants in search of to make a fast buck off hardworking small-business house owners.
State and Native Advocacy Victories Across the Nation
- In Anaheim, the California Resort & Lodging Affiliation (CHLA) and AHLA labored to efficiently defeat a poll measure that may have mandated a $25/hour resort and occasion heart employee minimal wage and double pay for your complete day if resort room attendants cleaned rooms totaling above sure square-footage thresholds.
- Additionally in California, AHLA labored with CHLA to develop language in two payments (AB-537 and SB-478) requiring uniform price-and-fee shows for resorts and short-term rental properties. The payments degree the enjoying area amongst resorts and short-term-rentals like Airbnb by setting one common customary for price-and-fee show.
- AHLA and a number of other companion state associations across the nation teamed as much as cease or defeat laws in 12 states that may have prevented native governments from regulating short-term rental properties by the identical requirements as resorts. AHLA will proceed to battle for authorized and regulatory landscapes that deal with all lodging institutions equally.
- In Montana, AHLA labored with the Montana Lodging and Hospitality Affiliation to safe passage of a invoice that gives grant funding to resorts that home home violence and human trafficking survivors.
- AHLA labored with HospitalityTN to safe passage of the Defending Tennessee Companies and Staff Act, a legislation that can forestall native governments from focusing on small-business resort house owners and staff with pricey new crimson tape. Tennessee Gov. Invoice Lee signed the legislation in Could.
- In New York Metropolis, tens of 1000’s of unlawful short-term leases have been faraway from the market due to an AHLA and Resort Affiliation of New York Metropolis-backed legislation that requires short-term rental companies to register with the town authorities and limits short-term rental companies to owner-occupied properties.
- And in Illinois, AHLA was happy to see passage of a legislation that enhances safety for resorts that take away or refuse to serve verbally abusive or disruptive clients. The Illinois Resort & Lodging Affiliation led advocacy efforts in assist of the “Be Type” laws, which was modeled on an identical legislation that handed in Rhode Island in 2022.
Thanks in your steadfast assist in serving to AHLA obtain these noteworthy accomplishments. In 2024, we sit up for persevering with to work with companions, have interaction members, and put money into advocacy at each degree of presidency to guard hoteliers and preserve our trade transferring ahead.