Christmas is right here, and it’s time to drag out the cookie cutters and make pepparkakor, a standard Swedish ginger cookie! My husband, Peter, has fond recollections of his mother making home-made pepparkakor as a toddler, and now he’s instilling these recollections in our boys. Yearly we gather the entire elements collectively, with a fast run to IKEA for any lacking objects, after which we create an enormous mound of pepparkakor dough that may chill in a single day earlier than we begin rolling out dozens and dozens of ginger cookies. The key of pepparkakor is their skinny, crispness. Whereas People like a thick, cakey gingerbread cookie, the Swedes favor skinny, crisp little ginger wafers with no decorations or icing. Now days, you should buy ready pepparkakor dough in Sweden, however our household nonetheless does it the old school method. This recipe is predicated on an outdated, traditional recipe, with just one edit—vegan butter as a substitute of normal butter.
In Sweden, hosts set out dishes of pepparkakor throughout the holidays for a bit deal with, and so they’re particularly good served with glögg, a standard sizzling spiced wine. All throughout the month of December, the Swedes rejoice the vacations with glögg gatherings, throughout which they serve tiny, steaming cups of spicy crimson wine with raisins and almonds. And it’s important to serve this festive drink with a tray of pepparkakor.
Right here’s our household’s vegan model of this conventional Pepparkakor. I hope you benefit from the holidays!
This traditional, generations-old recipe handed down by way of our household for traditional Pepparkakor—Swedish Ginger Cookies—is made vegan with a simple swap. Skinny and crispy, pepparkakor are a practice throughout the Christmas holidays in Sweden.
- In a big bowl, mix room temperature vegan butter with sugar and syrup with an electrical mixer till clean.
- Combine in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and baking soda.
- Add water and many of the flour. Combine gently.
- Take away the dough from the bowl and blend in the remainder of the flour by hand on the counter prime. Wrap the dough in foil and let it relaxation for twenty-four hours within the fridge.
- Pinch off a small quantity of the dough at a time, rolling it out very skinny with a pastry curler on a frivolously floured floor. Use floured cookie cutters to chop out shapes as desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Place cookies on baking sheets, leaving room between every cookie.
- Place the sheets in the midst of the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or till the cookies are gentle brown in colour.
- Take away from oven, and permit to chill on pan for a couple of minutes. Retailer in air-tight containers.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
- Class: Dessert
- Delicacies: Swedish
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 97
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 54 mg
- Fats: 4 g
- Saturated Fats: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 1 g
Key phrases: vacation cookies, gingerbread, pepparkakor, ginger cookies
Search for different vegan Swedish traditional recipes right here:
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.